Thursday, February 02, 2006

Super Bowl coverage sucks

Just wanted to let my frustrations out in regards to the pre- Super Bowl coverage that the media is doing right now. I haven't heard any good stories or anything coming from the media...

All I hear about is "Jerome Bettis" in his hometown Detroit. So his "team" makes the SB and the only storyline is about this guy... their 2nd-string running back? Give me a break. All week I've heard how he got a "key to the city" joining Sadaam Hussein and one other lucky individual. Next, I hear that his Mom/Dad threw a big dinner last night.... big whoop.

Tell me about the game for crying out loud... There are better players on both teams besides Bettis, yet all we hear about is him. How many other players on these teams might this be the "only" Super Bowl they go to? Would it be great for Pittsburgh to win the game - hell yes. Would it be cool to give JB the MVP if he scores one touchdown and has 5 yards rushing just because he lives there - hell no.

Let's move on to other football stories besides Bettis.

How about Donovan McNabb and his comments about Terrell Owens "black-on-black crime"... from what I heard Michael Irvin say this morning on ESPN, McNabb and half the country don't even know the context of Owens' statement regarding "Brett Favre being able to lead the team better". This isn't a white/black thing... Brett Favre is going to go down in history as one of the best quarterbacks EVER - McNabb has a ways to go (sking color/race aside).

Apparently, Michael Irvin originally said that Brett Favre could lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl with their level of talent - this was said based on Donovan's performance throughout the season (which pretty much sucked except for 2-3 games). Terrell's comments were a follow-up or add-on to Irvin's (from what I've heard at least) and Donovan has taken it the wrong way. In fact, from McNabb's comments, I'd say he's the one that's racist or close to it at least... why should Terrell Owens have to compare McNabb to a black quarterback when discussing how the team could be better? In the interview, McNabb specifically mentions this - "why Brett Favre, why not Vick, McNair, Brooks, etc" - from my perspective, Favre is better than all those mentioned (this year excluded). Again, Owens is reportedly just commenting on Irvin's initial comments... he didn't start the story. I think Donovan needs to get over himself.

Btw - My pick is Pittsburgh over Seattle, 35-28


1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we want more! We want more! er...I want more!!! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home